Thursday 31 March 2011

A Life Less Ordinary

There is an old saying that you should stop and smell the flowers.  There is another saying that you should end your life with a drink in one hand and a fag in the other screaming with joy.  I suspect that the truth is somewhere in the middle.  I, for one, try for something that will make my kids cringe but my grandchildren love me.  And if neither of them come along – my nieces and nephews.  And if it’s something that my mother would disapprove of all the better…. (sorry Mum, but I bet that you felt the same way at some stage!)

So currently as I am stressing out over a job that I love, but is not my dream job, it’s gotten me thinking about where my life is currently going and what the next chapter will bring, cause the last chapter has been a riot.

Here are some highlights…

Toilet papering a teachers room on retreat in a monastery in 7th form.  I went to an all girl school and we were forced to go on this retreat.  This is in the days before cell phones and we were bored.  It was a hoot.  We draped toilet paper from the lights and made a flower on the bed.  It was a work of art.  We knew that we would get into trouble but the most fun was waiting for the axe to fall.  We spent the whole afternoon cracking up.  Our punishment was being sent to bed early, and not being able to watch Yentil a move staring Barbara Streisand which I hear from all accounts was a bit boring.  We were still the last to breakfast the next morning.

On a racier note – when in Amsterdam at a sex show, I was pulled up on stage by a stripper – my friend was pushing me up there and taking my drink, thanking her lucky stars that it was not her.  It was a heap of fun and my belly dancing lessons came into their own.

There were nights in Granada where we crawled in when the sun was coming up.  Where we drank more sangria then is safe.  Nights where I learned that I don’t like tequila and that is causes memory loss.  Where I learned what a jagerbomb was and that the Spanish like to give free shots, and that there are mostly peach schnapps.  Which I am allergic too.

Throw in a couple of inappropriate men.  Enough said about that.

Been chatted up in a number of languages, by bartenders, men on the street, the odd rock star, actors, accountants, lawyers – and have taken all of this with a pinch of salt and a smile.  Once had a James Blunt moment on a tube where the doors closed before we could exchange numbers and since there are 8 million people in London it is unlikely that we will meet again.  The universe either loved or hated me at that moment – he could have been wonderful or could have been another man not worthy of me.

There have numerous late nights where dancing on the tables has been the norm.  There have been the road trips with friends that have been filled with laughter that resulted in sore stomach muscles.  There have been many many bottles of wine – imbibed in happiness and despair.  I have been lucky to be surrounded by people who love me and get my sense of humour and to join me on adventures.

In this next chapter I see a little bit of growing up.  Perhaps a move to another city, I see more travel and less extravagance (of which there is not a lot at the moment – cutting your own hair anyone?).  I see many more bottles of wine, much, much more laughter, more wonderful friends, maybe a job that is my dream job, maybe a man who is worthy of me, and maybe some kids.  But one thing is for sure when that adventure comes knocking I will be ready to run with it.

What are your favourite memories?  Are you smelling the flowers or holding the fag and drink?  What do you have planned for your next chapter?

No comments: