Sunday 27 March 2011

March! Where did you go?

Ok so I just blinked and realised that March is nearly over!  Where did it go?  Then I looked at my diary and realised that I have been working damn hard and that to counter that I have been playing just as hard.  So here is a review of March….

My first opera.  Madam Butterfly saw me visit the Royal Albert Hall for the first time.  It is a stunning venue and so full of history and culture.  The set was stunning and filled with water for the first act.  It was in English so I could understand most of it.  The ending was so very sad and the wee boy was the star of the show.  Don’t think that I am going to be the most regular opera attendee but was glad that I ventured, saw and enjoyed.

Then there was the fundraiser – wow what a huge effort.  All kiwidom pulled together and we raised about £18,000 for the victims of the Christchurch earthquake.  This was raised between my besties at the Castle and another pub.  I volunteered and in between carving up the dance floor to some good old kiwi classics, I must have dried nearly every glass in the place.  The day was a success and the management and team of volunteers were fantastic.  Even if I do say myself.  After that I was ill as a dog for a few days and that week passed in a blur of snot and sleep.  Stunning.

Ceadleigh anyone?  License to Caedleigh taught us a thing or two about turning a gay Gordon  and stripping the willow.  It was a great night and I love a good boogie even if it is orchestrated.

Then there have been the obligatory Glee nights with my bestie and a few walks as well.  As well as a couple of movies and a few late night work dos.  Caught up with an old flatmate – not old as in age just a former one.  And realised how much I missed that Irish chick.  We went out for a Thai, one of those ones where you share tables with randoms.  One of these randoms was a kiwi couple who I got to chatting to.  The lady asked if I was engaged to a Brit?  No.  Was I engaged to a kiwi?  No.  Was I engaged at all?  No.  Right well here is my hubby, he’s a kiwi too.  Bitch.

Oh and a birthday – for which I gifted a puzzle with my face on it!  Guess what you are all getting from now on?.....

Throw in a non Shakespeare play – The Childrens Hour.  This starred Kiera Knightley and Elizabeth Moss.  It was wonderful.  The acting was fabulous, the story was moving and the staging was amazing.  I walked out of there feeling annoyed that people are so narrow minded.   To celebrate that fact and the fact that someone was not that nice to me, I headed out to drink and dance.  A lot of dancing.  It was amazing, there is nothing like dancing to Tiffany at midnight on a Monday!

Then there was another fundraiser – this time for Teenage Cancer – with Biffy Clyro.  Six months ago I would not have known who Biffy were, but then Matt McCardle covered their song for X Factor.  They are proper rockers and we had fab seats.  They came out shirtless and with tight trousers and rocked the Royal Albert Hall.  It was a great night and I can’t wait to see them open for the Foo Fighters.

Cap the month off with a Boat race and a lot of prosecco and that was it.

April will hopefully bring me a few more night’s sleep, a contract and not unemployment a cool new flattie, a few more laughs with friends, some more good movies, a concert or two – Brooke Fraser anyone? A night at the Tate, running training (I am running 5k for charity!!!) A dress up party and a Royal Wedding.  Phew that is going to be a good one too. 

How was everyone else’s March?  Anything cool planned for April?

No comments: