Thursday 18 August 2011

Pain in the ear

If you have been anywhere near me this week, both virtually or actually then you would be well aware that I have earache.  I have spent two days in bed, in some pretty interesting pain and then spent the next two days at work fielding compliments such as ‘you look pale’ and ‘how can you still be tired after two days in bed?’.

But what I want to know is this – as a kid earache is kinda common.  Which brings me to – dear god no wonder children cry this really really hurts.  But also how do you catch earache?  My Father reckons that its cause someone is saying really mean things about you.  At which point I begged whoever it was to stop because seriously it must have been bad to cause me physical harm.

So if you catch a cold through coughs and sneezes, possibly from touching the dirty tube rails, and if you can catch glandular fever from kissing, or hepatitis from needles or poo, how do you get an earache?  Do you get it from pillows?  Given that is where some of your ear germs must end up?  I slept in a few different places last week due to the riot, did I catch it there?  Do you get it from sharing those earbud headphones?  I don’t really like sharing those as there are ear germs on them so don’t do that if I can avoid it.  Don’t think that I did that last week.  Could you get it from hugging?  If you have a particularly squishy hug you can get your ears in there.  But then I hug relatively often with my London family and have not earache before?

I guess it’s just one of those things.  When I was teeny tiny I seem to remember cotton wool being put in my ear to stop the wind getting in it?  Really?  Does wind cause earache?  And wearing a hat with ear flaps.  And the dizziness, that has been interesting.  I don’t remember this as a child, but then when you are learning to walk you are always falling over so maybe you just don’t notice it.
 
I googled what caused earache – swimmers ear was a popular one.  Also over vigorous cleaning of your ear with an ear bud.  I clean my ears but would not say that I was over vigorous.  Or if you have an abnormal head?  Many people may immediately be nodding, yes Nicca that is what has caused your earache, you have an abnormal head.

But in all seriousness, I have a very sore ear and throat, I am having issues swallowing and hearing.  I have been to the doctor and they have prescribed me going to Sainsbury’s and buying lots of pain killers.  I had to show ID to buy paracetamol, but interestingly enough not ibuprofen?  Strange.  And as I dose up on painkillers and throat spray each day, I have more and more interesting conversations.  My lucky workmates.

Anyhoo that is my ramble about earache.  Hope that you are all well and happy and not suffering from a summer illness.

No comments: