Sunday 28 August 2011

Health, Wealth and Happiness or Health, Happiness and Wealth?

This was the blog I intended to write the other day before I went off on a name tangent…

So, the phrase Health, Wealth and Happiness seems a bit strange to me.  I understand that rhyming part of this so get that to make it rhyme that health and wealth go together, but surely it should be Health, Happiness and Wealth in order of importance.

You see this time a year ago my health was not good.  I had just undergone my second surgery in two years and was feeling pretty rough.  The week before the surgery I was ill and in pain, and was hanging out to be fixed.  To get through it I convinced myself that it was like going in for repairs.

You see two and half years ago I was diagnosed with endometriosis – something that I had heard of and did not want.  Queue two years of absolute hell.  I was in pain, I was throwing up daily for a period of three months at one point, I was a nightmare to be around due to the hormones, I gained and lost weight and I was miserable and very unhappy.  I am one of the lucky ones, because I fought tooth and nail for my health, the endo was caught early and for now it has been stopped.  The way in which it has been stopped is not particularly pleasant but at least there is a chance that I will be able to have children at some point.

So a year on from the surgery that taught me I was allergic to morphine and that I can still throw up numerous times, even after 24 hours without liquid or food, I was not happy to discover that I might be facing another medium term illness.  This week I had to have blood tests for glandular fever, having had it as a teenager, I was not impressed to learn that I could again be ill for a few months.  Thankfully after a botched blood test, which saw blood spurting from one arm,  it has been determined that I don’t have glandular fever, however, I do have an indeterminate virus that will be with me for a while.

Once, I did not have good health, I began to appreciate how important happiness was and how unimportant wealth was.  It’s true that had I had health insurance I would have gotten my surgeries faster, but with the NHS system here there is really no need for it.  But I now put more importance on my happiness.  At the risk of sounding like Charlie Sheen – I tend to have one speed and its go.  I am not good at sitting still and relaxing.  I am not good at staying in for a weekend.  This weekend has been the first for a while where I have spent Saturday night in.  And I am in again tonight.  And will be in again tomorrow.  In fact for the first time in a long time I have a clear week.  I have given up alcohol for a few weeks to try and shake this virus.  But you know what? I am still happy.  To fill in my Saturday night I watched a movie and caught up with a good friend who has moved to Aus over instant messaging.  My friends were all out at one of our friends leaving drinks.  Today I stayed in bed till 2pm, reading a book and still catching up with the same friend who was making me smile and giggle.  We are both hoping to catch up when I visit Australia.  He made me happy to be at home for a change.

You see once I recovered from my surgery I decided that I was going to live life to the full.  After two years of being in complete and utter agony I decided that I would be happy come what may.  And I am.  I have wonderful friends who constantly show me how much they loves me.  A year ago in this room I was surrounded by flowers from all over the world.  I have a great extended family the world over who are so very excited that I am going to be at home for Christmas.  Sure I have down days just like everyone else but I try to remember where I was two years ago and remember just how lucky I am. 

You will notice that absolutely none of this has to do with wealth.  You see I learnt a long time ago that money does not necessarily mean happiness.  So I think that money should go at the end of that saying.  I think that this culture could use a bit more happiness and health and a little less wealth.  In fact it could use a lot more happiness.  I try to live by a phrase that Mother Theresa once said –and I am just giving the general gist – Always leave those that you come across a little better than when you met them.  So I always give people a smile.  A smile is all it takes, and I send good thoughts to people as well.

So, are you happy?  Do you have to work at it?  Do you like to make others happy?

No comments: