Wednesday 18 May 2011

Wonder Woman Woes

Well, it’s been a while since I have written.  I have been busy since the last time trying to be Wonder Woman.  I have over the last nearly 15 days been working, exercising, sleeping and trying to keep up with friends.  The reality is that I have been working.  And baking.  And entertaining.  And being a good daughter.  And a good friend.  And I guess that is the point, I have been trying to please anyone and everyone.

And this is a problem that faces most women in this day and age, and of my age.  I guess that I am lucky, I don’t have a husband and kids to add to the mix.  Huh.  But this week has been a 15 day stint of working.  I am exhausted.  Has that stopped me baking? No.  Has this stopped me in my quest to be like Pippa Middleton on my sister’s wedding day?  No.  Has it stopped me going out? No.  Catching up with friends? No.  Having a house guest? No.*

Why do we as woman feel the need to prove that we are perfect in every area of our lives?  Why can’t I just say No I need to sleep.  Why can’t I just say, sorry I would love to meet you for a drink but my eyelids won’t stay open?

Because, there are others out there that can hold it together.  That’s why.  I might be seen to be a failure or less of a contributing person.  There is currently a very dangerous trend in woman.  We feel the need to be seen to do it all, and to do it all easily, without stress and with a smile on our faces.  For instance, it used to be the trend at home to get cakes or pastries from the latest up and coming bakery, like Eve’s pantry – the ultimate for a working woman, wife or mother.  Now the trend is to bake, and to bake well.  Whilst this is very austerity and trendy, ummm what about the ladies that work?  What about the people who just don’t have time.  Don’t get me wrong I love baking and it’s a great stress relief, I don’t like the pressure that it adds.  At the moment as much as I want a partner and some kids, I don’t really know where they would fit in.  In fact, I have trouble fitting myself in.  I desperately need a haircut, but am not free when the hairdresser is open, so have resorted to cutting my own fringe.  With disastrous results.  You won’t see photos of me till it grows out.  I need a pedicure, a face mask and my eyebrows plucked.  I need to do the shopping, if my houseguest did not do the shopping, we/I would be living on toast.  And there is no peanut butter cause I have not done the shopping. 

And then there is the house itself.  Its falling apart and I have been given the job of ensuring it gets fixed.  I have arranged workmen and spoken to the landlord more in the last week than I have in the year that I have lived here.  There is a mouse –guess who is getting the traps –but it’s a blue job to empty them.

So I guess that upshot is this – I want to be the perfect woman – well read, cultured, intelligent, good figure, good skin, can cook, bake, dance and have a wonderful relationship.  I am trying my hardest at all of these whilst holding down two demanding jobs.  Well most of these – the only relationships that I am holding down are with my friends who are being very supportive about the fact that I am working every hour god sends.  I find cooking dinner for them helps.

So now I am taking a much needed rest  - or I am watching a movie too late at night with my third glass of some yummy wine.  Either way I am back to work at some ridiculous time tomorrow, to which I will walk and walk back.  And then cook dinner for a few friends.  There is no rest for the wicked and I plan on being very wicked as soon as I have a spare moment – whenever that might be….

*By the way, I love my house guest - its fun like having a long sleep over when you were kids!

No comments: