Tuesday 10 May 2011

The Notting Hill Effect

I can’t comment on what London was like before I got here, all that I knew about London was what I saw on the movies and in books.  However, I knew enough that I wanted to live here.  Bridget Jones and Notting Hill convinced me.  I loved the blue door and the people who lived behind it.  Hugh Grant, well, who cannot fall for the foppy hair.  Yes I wanted a blue door with a letterbox in it.

By the time that I arrived in London I had forgotten about the blue door and its legend in recent history.  But by destiny or just sheer coincidence, since arriving in London, I have always lived behind a blue door.  In all three places that I have lived.  There could be a few reasons for this – it could have become trendy to paint your door blue after movie.  It could just be that I like the colour blue and I am drawn to it….

Behind the blue door in Notting Hill, there lived two men – in varying degrees of insanity – one slightly insane and one completely so.  Behind my blue door or bloor, there live three crazy people and one perhaps slightly crazy  person.  We are not sure about the new one yet – I have seen her once for about 10 minutes in the three days that she has lived with us.  But the three of us are definitely crazy and again of varying degrees.

We have already discussed my craziness many times.  I have come to terms with the fact that I am nuts.  Admitting it is the first step to dealing with it.  I am not really sure how to deal with it.  I have a feeling that it will get worse with age – soon I will deteriorate into a crazy cat lady with beige cardigans, the signs are all there.

But my flatties are like me, we are crazy in similar ways.  C and I are both night owls.  It’s not unusual for us to both be up after 12 on a school night.  I often hear him heading for a cigarette in the late hours.  We both love a good drink with a group of friends – last week he greeted me at the door with a Jagerbomb and wished me a happy Wednesday.  It’s that kind of nuts relationship.  He has been known to bring me back chocolate late at night when I have been craving it like a mofo.  We all live very separate lives but we have a great time when we do get together.  His friends are great too.  We currently are on a gardening binge and have tomatoes and potatoes going crazy in the back yard.  C bought me the coolest pink gardening gloves and we are currently involved in a strange one upmanship as to who can produce the largest garden implement.  I started with some big choppers – what is their proper name?  Then C arrived with a saw and chopped down a whole bush.  I am thinking about a chain saw – I want some of those trees or at least their branches gone….

L is absent most of the time.  She is away so much that when a friend stayed he did not see for the entire week.  And whenever he has been over ever since he has not met her yet.  He is convinced that we have killed her and put her under the house.  He reckons that we will be caught when the bank account empties and she can no longer pay her rent.  But when she is here she is crazy just like us, but in her own way.  I am 99% sure that she has OCD, and she knows it too.  But it does mean that our house is incredibly tidy, and yes even me.  What makes me laugh is that my family and friends will tell you that I am the least likely to be tidy.  In fact it used to be true that I could not be tidy to save myself.  Now I have a very confined mess.  And since my room is so small it’s much more controlled than it ever was.  I call it the L effect...
Whilst none of my flatties are Spike – we are all nuts in our own way and we live behind a blue door.  Maybe this means that my life might become a bit magical like Notting Hill, maybe I too will come into possession of a violin playing goat and maybe I will meet a lovely crazy man like Hugh Grant… And so the craziness continues…..

No comments: