Tuesday 4 October 2011

A smile and a giggle make the world go round

The last two weeks have been very confusing.  I feel like I have been on a rollercoaster of emotions and situations and am really no clearer on where I am from two weeks ago.  But there is one thing that has stayed permanent, and that is my smile, well most of the time.  Smiling is good for you (much like vodka), it makes you feel better to smile, it makes you look younger (momentarily anyway, my smile lines do not make me look that young anymore), it makes your eyes sparkle and it makes others happy as well.

I never really realised how much of a smiler I was until it was pointed out to me.  Two weeks ago I was introduced at a Board meeting, as ‘there sits Nicola Whyte, smiling as usual.’ Which then made me grin more. 

My flatmate told me tonight that my giggle makes her giggle.  She loves to hear me laughing to myself whilst watching tele.  Which made me laugh cause my boy flatmates once told me that my tv laugh was awful and needed work.  Bastards.

My close friends here, when sitting down after a hard shift, told me that their new staff member was like me, smiling all of the time. 

Another time, they laughed at me when I was smiling at the rugby ball as it was being thrown to me.  There were a few reasons for this – not being sporty, I was pleased to be about to catch the damn thing, and I was scared of having it hit me in the face, so was smiling to will it to be nice to me.

And I guess that is the point.  I believe that what you put out into the world is what you get back.  Which sounds very cliché, but to quote yet another cliché, keep it simple.  Most creeds and religions boil down to this, be a good person, live high and be nice. 

Over the last little while life has been a bit difficult.  I have been very ill with some mystery virus, that according yet more blood tests appears to have finally left me.  I am still very tired, but am glad to be back out in the world and seeing my friends again.  Work has been a bit unsettled.  That is far too boring and involved to get into here.  But throughout all of this nuttiness, I have tried really hard to keep smiling and to have a giggle.  It’s not always been easy.  But it has been appreciated.  Which kinda makes me feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

I love hearing children laugh.  I used to love tickling my nephew, till he was red in the face and giggling uncontrollably.  Or telling him silly jokes.  That would make my day.  Maybe that is what I need right now – a cuddle from a silly sausage called Sam.  But I will have to wait about 9 and a half weeks for that.  And that will be a long 9 and a half weeks if they are all like the last two.

So after these nuts times I am focusing on what is to come that is going to make me smile.  A friend is coming to stay tomorrow before moving home, its about 12 days till what has been dubbed Katy Perry Day, its about 9 ½ weeks till I board a plane to go home, before then there will be endless Christmas parties and there are still a few friends that I have not caught up with since I was ill.  Bring it on world, this chick will be smiling despite it all and counting down the days till I step on that plane.

What makes you smile?  How do you deal with a rubbish day?  Are you a smiler or a frowner?

No comments: