Saturday 15 October 2011

Shut up and put your money where your mouth is...

That’s what you get for waking up in Vegas.  This song has been stuck in my head for the last 24 hours since I watched Miss Perry rock the O2 arena in her deeply personal style.  I loved absolutely every minute of it and fell more in love with Katy Perry than I really thought possible.

When this chick first burst onto the scene, I was travelling through Europe and everyone from teens to 20 somethings, were singing ‘I kissed a girl’ and I was not really sure what to make of it.  I liked its catchy tune and thought that the premise was ballsy, especially from this gorgeous chick who was reportedly from a very religious family.

For me a wee bit has changed since that time.  It’s been a while since I have written a blog, mainly because I have been run off my feet being the social butterfly that you all know and love.  I have been out of circulation for a while due to being ill and I have now been catching up with all of those that I have missed.  In typical London fashion my activities have been varied and all just as exciting for different ways.  I have seen Much Ado About Nothing at The Globe – where it is supposed to be seen and was blown away by it.  I have been watching loads of rugby and screaming at the tele.  I have been to loads of movies and have reacquainted myself with the delight that is Ryan Gosling.  I met Noel Fielding and practically wet myself with excitement when he signed my book.  I have been to a cute pop up cinema.  And I saw Katy Perry.  And back to the point.  My life has changed a bit since she popped up on the scene.  But in some ways it has not changed at all.

I am still single, still travelling, still a little lost, still a little found, still love concerts, devour books and boxed sets, and still love my friends and family the world over.  And I still love a bit of girl power in a song.  I love that Katy Perry is a gorgeous, tiny girl, with a huge voice and a lot to say.  I love that she knows that she is sexy as hell and is not afraid to use it.  I love her very thinly veiled lyrics – I wanna see your Peacock anyone?  I wish that I had it in me to be so sexy and so confident! 

Which brings me to my next point.  I have been reading a lot of magazines recently and I am more than a little disturbed by the number of articles that are aimed at single 30+ chicks about how hopeless their lives are.  Ummmm my life is anything but hopeless.  These articles say that they work hard so they don’t have time for relationships, others say that they don’t work hard enough so they have no money.  They say that woman are depressed, lonely and workaholics.  I think that we all go through periods like this, but I would not say that my life is hopeless.  On any given night of the week you will be lucky to see me at home.  I am not out being depressed.  I am laughing my head off enjoying whatever delight has appeared before me.  I am not lonely, I have more friends that I can keep up with, all over the world.  I work hard, but I like to balance this by playing hard.  I think that anyone who knows me could attest that sometimes I get a bit down, but not for long and that with a bit of distraction I will be in fits of giggles once more.

So maybe someone needs to start writing about the positive side of being fabulous and single.  Someone needs to say, hey, so what you are not attached, but you know what, London and the world are full of other wonderful unattached people who are out there living and loving life.  Go join them and who knows, you future could hit you smack in your smiling mouth.  Then you too will be singing about Last Friday Night and the messy happiness that you had.  Something to think about huh.

No comments: