Thursday 27 October 2011

Hold onto your hats

Life in the world of Nic this week, has been for want of a better word a rollercoaster.  Or a box of chocolates.  At any moment life is surprising me this week.  Both good and not so good.

Sunday was a lesson in hoping as hard as you can, in squeezing your eyes shut and believing.  It’s fair to say that NZ was very confident in their boys going into the Rugby World Cup final.  Every report I heard was saying that the French were going to get trounced from the get go.  Shockingly this was not the case.   From a very intense Haka onwards the game was tense and intense.  Wow what a haka too, goosebumps all over.  I spent the last ten minutes of that game gripping my friend’s Alex and Nicky’s hands for dear life, all of us watching with one eye open hoping that we could hold them off.  When the whistle blew, a packed to capacity pub, screamed, were on their feet, and shed tears of sheer relief and joy.  I was jumping up and down with my pompoms (did you really expect anything less?) and hugging anyone who was in the vicinity.  I nearly burst with pride of my country and the All Blacks.  My excitement was short lived as pretty much as soon as the game was over I had to head to work, and by the time I got back to the pub, it was closed as they had run out of everything.  Sounds like I missed a great party.  But we were able to raise a glass or two of champagne to the boys and to our homeland.  I am very grateful for my friends and the pub that they own.  They have opened at all hours of the day and night for the rugby, they have put up with crazy behaviour and worked so damn hard.  I raised a glass to them as well.

Monday came with a crash and my French friend, Marion was not so happy about the All Blacks winning, it’s been hard to express the joy in the office with her there.  There is nothing worse than a bad winner (take note Aussie), so I have dulled it down a bit in her presence.  Strangely, all I have heard from the French is that the ref was dodgy?  I would like to think that I am not so one eyed that I missed that, but maybe the reality is that I am cause I thought that he did a good job? 

Work for me is a bit of a rollercoaster in itself at the moment.  There are another few busy months coming up, to be different from the last few busy months, and I am wondering if I have the energy.  What keeps me going right now are the pictures that my sis sent me of her in her wedding dress and the thought of my wee nephew in December.   Also of a Summer – its still dark at 8.30am here, and it’s getting depressing.  Then on Monday I found out that my friends and I have Paralympics tickets.  Then I realised that one of the events that we have is on a friend’s wedding day.  See what I mean about the ups and downs.

I have been going mental trying to lose weight for this wedding as well.  But the reality is that in some ways my body is working against me with the endo hormones.  Still it’s nice to feel that muscle soreness that comes with a good workout.  I attempted Zumba the other day, I think that I need an extreme beginners class.  To top that off was mistaken for pregnant on the tube today.  I have been faithfully assured that I do not look pregnant by the few friends that I dared tell.  Still renewed my resolve to exercise more.

This weekend brings good things – Friday is wear it pink for breast cancer day.  I find that very emotional, having lost two family members to breast cancer.  Pink is also one of my fav colours so there is no shortage of things to wear pink.  Dress, shoes and bracelet, am contemplating a pink wig for after work.  Then Halloween at the pub – I love a good dress up and then it all starts again with working on Sunday. 
 
So there is my rollercoaster, one moment I am in floods over The Help or Downton Abbey and the next minute I am jumping for joy that I have Paralympics tickets or that I am going on a Beekeeping course.  Life is a funny old thing and I guess that there is a bit more of this nuttiness to come.  So hold onto your hats and keep all of your limbs within the vehicle, it’s going to be one hell of a ride.

No comments: