Saturday 24 August 2013

Ranting for the good of the world

Its been a strange week of personal bests at bootcamp and too many cocktails. We have had a new temporary flatmate move in, I have met a friends baby and wondered how on earth my nephew has just turned 9? Where on earth have that 9 years gone? I finally have a few quiet moments to write as I have a lemon drizzle cake in the oven, before I put on the ritz and head out to a posh tea party, before heading to Ipsden tomorrow to see some good friends for a birthday. I am really looking forward to Greece, where I will lie on a beach in the sun, leaving this torrential London rain behind.

There are a few things that have caught my attention this week so here goes...

The first gay marriages have occurred in my homeland NZ. Surprisingly, this did not coincide with the world ending, the sun did rise. But also there was not a surge of straight Christians filing for divorce, as they felt that their marriage had been devalued now that we were all equal. There is a saying that my fav radio DJ's have coined, which I feel very appropriate – Worry about your own dick – I agree that it should be made into a fridge magnet. One of my British friends laughed for a long time when I said that to him, he thought it was a very pragmatic kiwi way of looking at things. I just think when our children look back at this time and we have to explain to them why people were so outraged about gay people, and we stumble as to why this happened in the first place, those who took to the streets to march against gay rights are going to look rather foolish, similar to how we now look at those who discriminated against black people in South Africa and the United States. I am pleased that now my numerous gay friends are a step closer to being equal and I can attend a number of fabulous gay weddings.

Whilst we are on the equality rant, why is it that as the rights of one group rise, the rights of another are slowly being rescinded. It is a worrying time to be a woman in the world. Very slowly the fights that were fought decades ago, are having to be re won. Rights should not be something that you have to renew every ten years and hope that the patriarchs allow you to keep them. This week we have had UKIP treasurer, Stuart Wheeler, state that woman are unsuited to be on the boards of companies as they are not skilled in chess or bridge, so are therefore unsuited to business. What the fuck? Whilst its easy to dismiss these comments as the ramblings of an old bigoted white man whose party are well know for their intolerance, it is not as if he is alone in these thoughts. Its was only a few years ago that woman in NZ were aghast when Alasdair Thompson, Trade Union rep said on national television that he thought that woman were unsuited to the workforce as they took more leave than men, due to their periods and having babies. When he was asked to back up his claims with actual figures he could not. Great so someone who is leading a trade union is as biased as the people he is supposed to be fighting against.

I have noticed in the last few months, that a number of my favourite television programmes seem to be buying into the stereotype, that woman cannot have it all the way that men can. It pains me to say that Suits – one of the best drama/comedies on UK television is victim to this. The main women characters in this New York city based legal drama, are either a cut throat or weak, no inbetween. We have Jessica – the head of the firm who does not seem to have a personal life at all, is just there trying to keep the men in line and has made a point of stepping over other woman to get to her position of power, we have Rachel, who at the end of season two was left having to chose between her career and the man she loves, and we have Donna, the secretary who is apparently secretly in love with her boss, and again does not seem to have a life outside the career that she has devoted her life and ovaries too. This slick drama that has amazing plot lines, great costuming and wonderful one liners, could be a great vehicle to show that woman can cut it with men, that they are more than just decoration for the office and that we actually have brains in our heads. I have high hopes that season three will portray all of these and provide woman with amazing role models.

Thomas Jefferson once said 'Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty'. In a month where we have seen Russia legislate against being gay, where its athletes have reinforced their stance by saying that in Russia, people are normal, woman and men date each other and that is it, where we have seen great debate over which woman should be on the £10 note, as it was decided it was time to update the notes and there was a real danger that we would not have seen a woman on there at all, it seems that we all need to be more vigilant than ever. Whilst I am not necessarily in agreement that Jane Austin was the best choice for the £10 note, I was appalled that we were facing the possibility that there would not be a single female face other than the Queen on the currency at all. Britain is full of woman who have helped make this country great – even if was a picture of the women who helped in the war effort it would have been better than yet another old, white man on the currency.

The thing is that normally I don't have a good rant like this, but I believe that its about time that people stood up for what they believed in. I recently saw an interview with the band Fun, who I quite simply adore, they seem like nice decent human beings, as well as having catchy songs and being brilliant performers. They said that this is decade when people who are not affected by prejudice, will have to make a point of standing up for those who are. They have actively campaigned for gay rights the world over. I recently saw a post on facebook where they were rejoicing the failure of the Defence of Marriage Act in the USA. A number of people commented that it was not for rock stars to make political statements and that they would now be deleting their songs from their devices. I am proud of them for using their power for good – unlike other 'stars' who use their twitter accounts to promote the latest fashion or product, and charge ridiculous sums of money for doing so. As far as I am aware Fun campaign for free. I would rather live in a world where I knew that my daughters (should they ever arrive!) were going to be paid the same as their male counterparts, that they could travel the world without fear of sexual abuse, and that if they wanted to love another woman, that they would not be persecuted for it.  And that my sons, will be taught that women are equal to them and deserve the same respect as men, that if they want to love another man that they have the right to do so, and if they want to enter a 'caring' profession that they will not be discriminated against for their choices. This is the world that I want to pass on.

Right rant over, back to the kitchen, where I chose to be, after a really busy week where I worked as hard and was paid the same as the men in my office. I am one of the lucky ones in so many ways. Hopefully, where ever you are in the world, you are also as lucky.

No comments: