Thursday 29 August 2013

My adventures on Tinder

Two weeks ago, at yet another farewell dinner, a young British girl told me about a new dating app called Tinder. She had been on a few dates with different people and it was working well for her. It was different to before, there was no risk, you can only message those that you know like you, as to connect with people you both have to say that you like each other. The cringe factor is gone. What's not to like?

So I downloaded the app straight away. It works through Facebook with your photos from there, but does not post on your behalf. Within 10mins I had 6 matches. Because I am old fashioned, shy and nervous, I waited for the men to message me. The first message read 'Fancy a fuck' ummm nope, that is not even a good come on. So I blocked that douche.

A week later, another man began to message me. I was out shopping for my organic bits and pieces and it started out innocently enough. 'How are you? What you up to?' And then 'So would you be interested in making my sexual fantasies come true? In exchange, I would be willing to make yours come true as well'. Hmmm ok so exactly what did you have in mind – apparently a threesome with two woman and I would have to find the other woman. Umm, again, no thanks.

Up to bat, man number three. I will be honest and say that he was not one of my favourite choices, but we bantered for about an hour and he seemed really nice. But never be too trusting. The question was innocent enough, 'Why are you on tinder and what are you looking for?' My answer was that I was looking for a bit of conversation and banter and seeing where that led. He laughed and said, you will never find that on here, its more of a casual sex app, and you are way to nice to be on this app. And I appreciated his honesty. And we agreed that we would perhaps meet up for a drink when I am back from holiday.

The reality is that I am unlikely to meet him. I am deleting my profile from Tinder, it was a nice holiday, but not somewhere that I want to stay for long. The reality is that I am far to socially awkward and have too many self confidence issues to make a habit out of casual sex. I need way more than that to fall into bed with someone.  Whilst I am not a prude, if I was to consider any of the number of things that were suggested to me, I would prefer that to be with someone I know and trust.  Not a complete stranger, after one drink in a bar. What worries me, if this is the way forward, how on earth am I going to meet someone? According to this article, Tinder could be our new reality.

So that was my experience with Tinder. Not one that I am likely to repeat, or can honestly say that I enjoyed. Call me old fashioned, but I need a bit of wooing, a bit of banter, and for someone to appreciate me for my mind as well as my body. And I truly doubt that I am going to meet my husband or baby daddy on this website. Onwards and Upwards I say.


No comments: