Sunday 17 March 2013

Long live the King & Queen


My February was pretty rubbish. It felt as though with every email or phone call, more and more awful things happened and it was just getting worse by the day. It really knocked my resolution to be happy this year. One of my friends made the comment, that February was only 28 days, because most of us could not handle much more than that.

But one of the saddest moments in this godawful month was my closest London friends leaving to move back to New Zealand. Its fair to say that everyone expected me to be a blithering wreck from the time that Cate and Aaron returned to the UK from Europe to stay with me for a week and surprisingly I proved them wrong. Part of it was denial. I could not fathom my London without these people who were to a degree the linchpins of my urban family. I still can't.

I have known Cate and Aaron for 4 years. A detour from my normal pub with my three boy flatmates, led to the pub which they ran. From the second that I saw the Harere Mai sign on the door, I knew that I was at home. From that moment on I was slowly but surely absorbed into the family. This family has grown and changed over the 4 years that I have been in it. People have moved home or changed jobs from working at the pub where it all began and others have joined our fun group.

Cate and I would catch up a couple of times a week and always on a Friday. I became a pub regular who grew to know the cast of characters in the pub like they were my own family. Which in the absence of my own family, was nice to have. We spent long weekends together, holidays such as Easter and Christmas and many a family dinner. We were there for each other through thick and thin and had loads of in jokes. Do you know your postcode? We met members of each others families and laughed when Cate's sister described me as her bosom buddy. Hehehehe. We have survived earthquakes, family weddings and tragedies. Its fair to say that I adore Cate and Aaron.

We have spent a long time fighting for their pub, which was sold by the brewery to a developer who have plans to turn it into a block of flats. Its kinda like someone ripped the heart out of our community. It was an emotional time and we gave it our all, but in the end we lost. Which meant that this Christmas was our last Christmas in the Castle. And that after 12 years in London my bestie was heading home to see her family and to start a new adventure.

I don't know that I can do ever write to do justice to the depth of friendship that we have. We share a very warped sense of humour. One that makes us laugh at the most ridiculous things. I loved the postcard that she sent me from Berlin – Hi Nic, Here is the postcard that you wanted, it is cold, we are good. Love Cate and Aaron. I laughed over it for days. When she got back, she told me that she had laughed over it for days as well.

I was touched when Aaron mentioned me in his leaving speech, we danced the night away, drank way to much and together we found out that McDonalds is open at 4am and that a taxi driver will take you through the drive through, but that even if he won't, the dining room is open. Who knew?

I held it together well, we all thought that I would have been crying since Christmas day, I managed to hold it together until the final day, I cried a bit at the last lunch and then at the airport, where I had only the smallest amount of time to say goodbye. It was hard, but I am so excited for them. Its an interesting feeling also to be the person who is being left behind when others are going on an adventure, its normally me having to get on the plane, whilst crying.

So what I want to say is, I miss my friends, I am still very grateful for the people who have been making sure that I am not lonely, even if its just a phone call to chat. I am very lucky to be a part of such an amazing life changing community. Love you all and thanks for being so amazing!

No comments: