Saturday 2 March 2013

Don't think, just do

Over the past week, I have had that one line of a song stuck in my head. It has been like a mantra, but a really annoying one. I have been wracking my brains trying to figure out where it is from and why I seem so attached to it. I have had a half melody to go with it, but still no joy.

It’s more than just a song lyric. It’s a way of life. I have been accused in the past of over thinking things. What? You? No! Never! Said no one ever. We all know that I am capable of taking one sentence from a conversation and analysing it to a point where I have 10 different meanings for it. I over think everything from my love life (of which there is none), to my job, to my friendships, to the grocery list, to the gym, and so it goes on. One of my good male friends often stops me when I begin to relay an event that could lead to a love life and says – You are over thinking it again. Just chill out.
So I have been trying to chill out. Just to make it fun, when I am trying to not over think anything, it is the time when my visa is being renewed. When this is published, I will officially be an over stayer. But its ok, I have faith that it will work out. I have my MP onto it, as I type, and UK Border Agency has assured me that I am still legal to work. Hmmmm. Don’t over think Nic, just do your job and enjoy your life. 

I have been watching with great interest the media excitement over Lena Durham. I absolutely love her show Girls. It is gritty and honest and makes me cringe in parts, watching it. Because it is so real. This is a New York that could not be further away from Sex and the City. Its people like me, facing problems like me, and behaving like me. I love that Lena has written, directed and starred in this. This feels like a trip into her mind. And guess what, she over thinks things just like me. She is the new Hollywood darling and I suspect that we are going to see loads more from her. And from all accounts, she is an all round lovely girl as well. So over thinking is entertaining for those around you.

So how is it going for me? I have over thought one situation so much, that I have just about given it up. I cannot be consumed by this and my answer to hide under the duvet. I have over thought my visa situation no end, I am nearly on the brink of ordering boxes to pack up my life and move home. And then I remember that in a month, it will be resolved and I will be thinking how silly I was. But today as I was struggling to not think, just do, I suddenly thought, google the damn lyrics and figure out where they are from.

They are from this song, aptly titled – You could be happy – yes I could be happy. It’s interesting to me that in one of the most significant upheavals of my life, this CD saved me. I had left my relationship and house and was living with my bestie and her hubby. This CD got thrashed in the car and every Saturday morning when I cleaned their lovely home, I had this on loud. I was in a cleaning phase, they didn’t force me to do it. So now that I am in another period of transition, not quite as dramatic as that, this song has come back to haunt me.

So there you go, I could be happy, and I am now choosing to be. I am going to be attempting to do a lot less over thinking and more doing. I have to remember that those 6 years ago, that I survived the upheaval and that I will survive again. This time on a different continent, but with the same support, just from a different group of friends. As well as the ones at home, who are secretly (not so secretly) hoping that this visa does not go well and that finally return to their shores. Although, if I did not over think things, then this blog would be a lot less interesting… Oh no here we go again…

No comments: