Monday 7 January 2013

The sword would be more satisfying

There is a saying that the pen is mightier than the sword. But the way I felt this afternoon, a few rounds with the sword, inflicting some damage, would have been more satisfying. As you all know from this blog post (which is read by at least one more of you daily, according to my stats), I have been embroiled in fighting to save my local pub, my second home, for the best part of this year.

So, at the end of November, we very sadly lost at the last round of planning applications through Wandsworth Council planning department. There was a lot of confusion in the community that the pub serves as to how this has worked, as this was round three, and new objections had to be put in, all for different reasons from last time and in quick succession. We know from our stats and campaigning that on all three planning applications that different people put in different objections each time. From my reckoning across all three campaigns there were over 1000 different objections from 1000 different people and community groups. So that is a pretty sizeable chunk of the Battersea and Wandsworth community and voters. I will seriously be thinking where my vote will be going in the next election after this shameful debacle. 

This latest round of planning came after a lot of ill will between the developers and the community. There was the time when they chucked the pub landlords out with three months notice because the campaign was going so well and they were annoyed. After a significant amount of outcry from the community and then Wandsworth Council, they decided a full two days before the wake that we were holding, that they could stay. What a party we had, it was a small victory for us and we were all so relieved that our pub was going to be standing and functional for a few more months. There was the time when they sent out a bucket load of propaganda, some of which said that Cate, the current landlord, thought them to be fair and was working with them to ensure a smooth handover. Hmmmm loadofshit. Or even better when they quoted her as saying something similar to the local paper. Ummm wtf. Oh and one of my favourites, the time when we discovered another architectural design, that was less ugly, that would mean that much of the pub in its current state could have stayed, and there would be less disruption to the pub whilst it was being built. Languard Investments and their architects were so upset that we had proved right, that they threatened us with legal action and stuck to it. You see they could not make their current design work as a pub, they could not fit in the cellar, the kitchen, toilets etc into their current design. Oh and there was the other designs for other buildings that they had done, that had attracted such derision in the community. That was a bit of a sore point that one. Then there was the time when they put the rent up so far above the fair rent rate for the property that it was no longer within the bounds of the tenants to continue past the new year. Add to that a years worth of just constant worry and changing of minds, and general being a shitness and you will have a fair idea of what these developers – Languard Investment were like. So you can imagine that they fought hard to win, and whilst we were crying in the halls of Wandsworth Council and into our pints, they were popping champagne and counting their money and reveling in our misery.
This pub is a real community asset, this is a place where I have built a family. I have gained so many friends through this pub. Cate and I have 65 mutual friends on Facebook, and all of them will be through the pub that she and her partner Aaron have made into a place that people not only want to be, but fought to save. There were a few relics in this bar. One was a 'Map of The New Zealand', yes The New Zealand. We had all written our names where we were from in NZ and those that were not from there, had written their names in the general direction of their homelands. The other special relic was a guitar that belonged to our special friend Simzy, who used to play in the pub. We had countless jam sessions and endless laughs. This guitar was decorated by him, with kiwi designs, and for a very long time it held a photo of him playing and us watching, within the strings. I have ensured that this guitar faces in the correct way for the last few months. Over the last three weeks, it has been like the last episode of Cheers. I have watched a cast of characters, friends old and new, walk through the bar to say goodbye to the pub and its inhabitants. We had an amazing Christmas in this place, my first and last pub Christmas. We had the best New Years Eve, where we partied till the wee small hours and drank that place dry. I mean dry. There were no spirits left. I was so upset when we ran out of vodka at about 11.30pm. I recall having the last Red Bull in the place, we had to open it with scissors as the tab had broken off. The 1920's theme was a masterstroke and the whole pub danced the night away. It looked hilarious to see a group of people dressed up in yesteryear costume dancing to Moves like Jagger or Dirty Bit.
So you can imagine how painful it was to see the pub stripped of its furniture, to see the doors closed, the fittings removed and the fridges empty. The silent auction was very upsetting. But to ice the cake, Languard Investments had one last surprise for us. Today, before the keys were even handed in, there was a For Sale sign added to the front of the pub. After all the hell that they put us through, and the removal of such a wonderful community asset, the upstanding Battersea pillars of the community, who apparently often take up space in their developments, are going to flick it off to make a profit. There were a number of sweary words that passed through my mind, but mainly it was just a bit of rage. They have stolen a much loved institution of Battersea from the community, for their own financial gain. So much for the propaganda where they wanted what was best for the community. The only comfort that I take, is that being a big believer in karma and what goes around, comes around, and they will get their cumuppance.

So tonight, I am listening to this song – Be Calm, indeed. I have had a healthy dinner and chatted with Cate and Aaron, before they take the first step on their journey that will ultimately see them back in NZ. They were in good spirits in spite of it all and we were talking about the map that will be in their new bar, back over home. I have promised to visit and to sign the map from wherever I will be living. At this stage with my visa at the Home Office for renewal, I could be home before they are, but lets hope not. I will very much miss some of the best people that London has seen fit to show me. But that is a whole other story for another day.

* Disclaimer - these are my own opinions of the events detailed above as I have interpreted them.  This in no way reflects the views of the campaigners or The Castle Battersea, who have not had direct input into this blog.  These events are mostly a matter of public record.  This blog page and all other blogs that I write are of my opinion and of the facts as in interpret them.*

2 comments:

Laurence said...

Hi I've really mixed feelings about the whole thing. There's been a pub there for 400 years so of course it should stay; it was busy; it was a community asset.

I prefer the Woodman, but I'm an old git so that's not surprising.

The landlord seemed really friendly. It's despicable the developer is flipping the property with planning - it shouldn't be allowed..they just got planning to increase value, not redevelop it...it's literally immoral.

As a resident I got very p***ed off by the noise on Saturday nights, and I'm amazed those in the council blocks immediately adjoining didn't give you a hard time. There were a lot of non-local hipsters around - fascinatingly the Woodman hasn't benefitted at all, because it's a local's-style pub, not a 'destination' music venue. But that's only my view and a lot of people loved the place.

We came in and got totally smashed the night before New Years Eve, and it was a great experience.

I may write a blog myself about it, and will send you the url if I do.

Good luck in all you do

London Nicca said...

Hi Laurence,

Thanks for your comment. I do have some sympathy for people who live near pubs, I always try to leave quietly and respect others privacy. When my friends lived above the pub, they often complained that people would sit on the picnic tables outside the pub and talk to all hours of the morning, even when the pub was closed.

However, as you said the pub has been there in some shape or form for the last 400 years. So when people move into the area, they know that there is a pub, and as such I don't believe that they have the right to complain about the noise, unless of course its riots or something. The curfew for the live music was always 11pm, which I don't think was too unreasonable.

I am glad that you came in on New Years Eve Eve, I was there too and had a great night. Interestingly enough, a number of the people who were campaigning to save the pub were in the 60+ bracket and had been drinking there for a number of years.

I am glad that you are still drinking locally, I believe that the community is now poorer due to this pub, which sourced a lot of its produce locally, both alcohol and food, employed local, used local businesses and gave back to the local community has gone. I will be mourning the loss of it for many years to come.