Sunday 20 January 2013

Hurry up and send me an approved visa!

Dear London,

I am writing to inform you that I am not ready to leave just yet. I am not done with you and nor you with me, so if you could let the Home Office know, I would be very grateful.

4 years, 7 months and 20 days ago, I arrived on your shores. I stepped off the plane at Heathrow, leaving behind my precious ipod in the seat back pocket – dopey me, and was so excited to have finally arrived. It has been my dream since before I was 10 to do my OE and to live here. I might have left it a bit late at 27, but hey I got here in the end.

Arriving here was not easy, I was traveling off the back of a hard year. I had my heart broken, had left a disastrous relationship, sold my share of the house and had left everything I knew behind. I arrived here with 70kg of my possessions on my back. I had been traveling for a month, and I had managed to convince myself that I was on holiday, but on the plane from New York to London, I had a realisation that I was going to be arriving at my new home. That I really had no idea when I was going to see my family or friends again and that I possibly had made the biggest mistake of my life. My first night in Surrey, I cried myself to sleep.

The next day things were a little brighter, metaphorically, as it was grey and raining, despite the fact that it was Summer. I have come to learn that London Summers are like this. I visited Buckingham Palace and saw the trooping of the colour and was for the first time on the tourist trail in London. This is a trail that I have now trodden a million times. Everyone that arrives in London, I take them on this route. The next day I was off to Madrid to begin another month of traveling through Europe.

On this trip, I made life long friends, and saw some of the most amazing things. I stood in the Sistene Chapel, and looked upon the paintings that I had studied for years. I visited Alhambra and marveled at how old things are in Europe and how young NZ is by comparison. I also met one of my best friends and future housemate, Felicity. We had a wonderful time together and from the first day we were mates. On a recent trip home, I was so honored and floored, when she planned her wedding for my visit. I would not have been anywhere else. Whilst we don't often have the chance to talk much anymore, I know that within minutes of seeing her again, we will be chatting like we have never been apart. I cried a lot when I left her at Sydney airport, three days was not long enough.

The first 6 months here, you were pretty rough on me London. I struggled a lot. I cried a lot. I survived having family members pass away, and not getting a chance to say goodbye. I lived in a flat with leaking ceilings, a dodgy landlord, with no furniture and not a lot of light. However, Fe and I both refused to let you break us. We danced like no one was watching, thank god they were not, and went for long walks to make up for the lack of a tele. Once Fe left to move back to Aus, I was lucky enough to move in with three British boys who helped me to settle in a bit more. It was with them that I walked into a kiwi pub in London, completely by accident and met what was to be my London family.

My London family is constantly evolving, over the last two years, its gotten a lot smaller. Many of them have scattered across the globe and the coming year sees it shrinking even further with some of the key players leaving me. London, this is one of the hardest parts of living here, the constant goodbyes. Friendships are formed very quickly here, especially among expats. You have a strong bond of a shared experience and when you are with expats you know that you will be understood as they speak your version of English. I would not trade these people for the world. Whilst we are all scattered, through the magic of Facebook we all keep in touch. Many of us are desperately trying to do this now that our hub, the pub is gone. Over the past two weeks I have been pretty good at it.

It was with the help of my London family, that I was able to survive when I was in pretty much constant pain and was very very ill, for about two years, when I was so far away from my family. There is nothing like your Mum when you are feeling unwell. I fought hard for my health and am pleased to say that after two quite painful operations, that I have been cured for the last two years. I celebrated by having a night out with friends, when I was given a clean bill of health and finally discharged by the NHS.

So London, I guess that what I am saying is this – you have forced me to learn a lot about myself, I now know that I am made of stronger stuff than I thought, I can survive on a shoestring of a budget, I can navigate a tube and bus system, I can make friends easily, despite the fact that I have recently discovered that I am shy, I will get searched every time I try to fly, and that it is no good taking me to an airport, as I will cry for a long time once I am there. I have loved most of my time here, you are a gritty, beautiful city, filled with history that almost feels like it breathes, and you have gotten under my skin. I am not ready to leave you just yet. I would not trade the experiences that I have gained here, I am better and fuller person for them. I am hoping that in the year to come you will treat me well. I am sure that this is my year, its started off pretty well, and I am sure that it contains love, happiness and general excitement for me.

So I am begging you, please let me stay a little longer.

Yours, with Love,
Nicca xx

No comments: