Monday 3 December 2012

Slide over here and give me a moment



A week ago, it was the 15 year anniversary of the death of Michael Hutchence.   Where were you 15 years ago?  What were you doing?  I was in the last few months of school.  I remember that day quite vividly.  

It was early Summer time in New Zealand and it was hot.  I was probably either on study leave, about to sit my Bursary exams or I had finished and had a long Summer ahead of me before I started Uni.  That night my boyfriend and I were down in Mission Bay, it was hot, it was late and with a couple of friends we had been having dinner on the beach.  As I was 17, I was not able to go clubbing as the age was 20 in NZ at the time.  But there was a club near the beach, and they were playing Never Tear Us Apart.  Loud.  I remember the four of us sitting on the beach, in the twilight, singing away to this moving song, by a wonderful man who was now lost for good.

I always fancied this man who by all accounts was an all round nice guy, but who lost his way in later life.  I recently watched a documentary about him on Sky Arts – which is a revelation to me in itself, I love this channel, but it took me down memory lane.  The music of my childhood was INXS, Barnesy, Cold Chisel… Aussie rock was big in our house.  And it still is.  My sis and I will rock out to Chisel any day of the week.  It made me sad that such a talented, caring and sweet person is lost to the world.  I was amazed a few years on from that, when INXS travelled the world and found a new lead singer.  JD Fortune sounded like Michael Hutchence, in some of their new songs I had to remind myself that it was not him.  Sadly, he succumbed to the same pressures and left the band after their first album as he was dealing with drug issues.

Whilst I was wandering down this memory lane, I stumbled on a doco about Nevermind, arguably the most famous Nirvana album.  That album is now over 20 years old.  I had it on cassette and one of my first CDs was Unplugged live in New York.  My parents can sing that word for word as I drove them insane with it.

Which got me thinking.  My life has changed so much over those 15 years.  The boyfriend is long gone, however, through our mutual friends we still know what each other are up to.  And my life is due for another big period of transition right about now.  My new job starts in two weeks.  My visa will be *crossing fingers* renewed in a months time.  The next year sees a large number of my friends heading back to kiwiland.  It had me thinking where I would be in 15 years time.  I hope that I am home in NZ, with a family and a home, and maybe just maybe am writing for a living.  Or I could be living in any country in the world, still indulging my travel bug.  One thing is for sure, there will still be songs that define my life.  Music that will speak to me and people who will share those memories.

Speaking of which – look out for the next blog where I will be able to talk about my stage debut – first a commercial and now the stage.  Next Monday night 10th of December, come on down to the Half Moon in Putney to see me shake a tambourine for Abby when she plays a Christmas set. 

No comments: