Saturday 24 March 2012

There is not much going on...


It has been a quiet few weeks.  There is really not much to say – nothing exciting has been happening.  I have been cooking and going to the gym, and at the moment I am really tired.  It’s Lent again and I have been doing very well.  I am eating well, feeling great and other than a few detox spots, my skin is looking fab.
 
Lent always leads me to be healthier and to be a bit reflective.  It’s like a total detox for me, mind and body.  The weather is nicer which makes it nicer to be outside walking or running, and it’s great to be outside in the beer garden again.  Today I had a real tidy up of my garden.  Don’t get me wrong, domestic goddess in most other ways (although my cleaner can take some of that crown) I am not a gardener.  I hate it.  There are too many gross things in the ground, worms, slugs, slaters, and spiders.  And all of them have me telling myself to calm down and to breathe.  Oh and Don’t Scream.  Today the sun was shining, and it’s hard to be unhappy when you are getting some sun and listening to some great music and pulling weeds out of the ground.  I am aching from having to brace myself and pull out some of the insidious trees that have taken root. 

The thing that is surprising me so much about myself at the moment is my sudden interest in plants and greening.  I have always been environmentally conscious – I drive my flatties mad by pulling pieces that can be recycled out of the bin, but I have never really been too keen on getting out there and planting stuff.  But recently my imagination has been captured.  I am beginning to be more interested in growing food and greening.  I am interested in putting out plants that will help the ever declining bees.  I am ever so slightly in love with bees.  Which given that I hate all other insects surprised everyone including me.  I would be surprised if I ever actually have bees in my own back yard, but it is highly likely that I will be in charge of bees for work, so if I can help the wee things in any way that I can, I will.  So I guess that my lesson here is that even after nearly mumble mumble 32 years mumble mumble, I am capable of surprising myself at what I can do.

But there are a few clouds in my sky at the moment.  Things are changing around me and that always leads me to be bit nervous.  On Thursday I said goodbye to another friend who is moving back to her native Canada.  It seems like everyone around me is getting new jobs, having babies (yes another round of people having more babies!) and generally getting on with it.  I am beginning to get on with it, this year sees me travelling a lot more and early next year will see me applying for indefinite leave to remain.  But I have never been patient, my Mum will tell you that I hate waiting for anything.  I want it all and I want it yesterday. 

Tomorrow the sun is predicted to shine again!  Yay, the weather is predicted to be fine for the next week.  I am excited as I will be spending two afternoons walking around looking for areas to be greened in London.  Be it climbing up on roofs to see if they will be big enough for a garden or seeing if there are too many services in the pavement to put a garden in or not.  It’s a fun project.  And tomorrow I am off out for brunch with some good friends, who I hope will realise that the clocks go forward tonight.

So it’s been a very quiet, well behaved lent for me.  How has it been for you?  Are you still sticking to your resolution for Lent?  Did you bother with Lent?  What’s been happening?

No comments: