Saturday 10 September 2011

My eyes are a little sweaty today

I don’t know what it is – it could be that I am very tired, it could be that I am a bit overwhelmed after my birthday, it could be that at this time that I am missing home or it could be for no reason, but I have just cried my way through the opening ceremony of the Rugby World Cup.

I had to search to find some decent coverage of this, and am watching on You Tube.  Am I am soooooo very proud.  My country looks amazing, and this ceremony is beautiful.  They have done us proud and I am holding my head high.  I was excited to see the haka – that gives me goose bumps every time.  And the thought of the 600 strong haka at the viaduct blows my mind.  I was also looking out for my cousin Steph who was a part of the ceremony, unfortunately did not see her.  And then there was the child’s dream sequence for Canterbury – very very moving.

Yesterday I ventured to the pub to watch the first game of what I am hoping is a good Rugby World Cup for New Zealand.  I was stuck on a bus, so was late and missed the haka – my favourite part – and the national anthems.  I understand that much of Auckland was stuck on a train so I guess I was connecting with my homeland. 
 
I arrived just in time for kick off and was waved through to the VIP area of The Castle Battersea – my RWC pub.  I ordered my brekkie and sat down to watch the All Blacks run to victory.  I was excited that my Dad was at the game and we texted a little throughout.  I was wearing my All Blacks jersey with pride.  The VIP area also has the most comfy bean bags that I have sat in for a while along with a good brekkie.   My personal highlight of this game was watching Sonny Bill Williams tear off a sleeve of his jersey – oh and then strip off to change…

The RWC does not appear to have really kicked off in England just yet – maybe a little this morning when they won by the skin of their teeth against Argentina.  After the game as I was heading to work, feeling a little out of place to be wearing my jersey and smiling away, a man who was crossing the road smiled and congratulated me on our win.  That made my day.

Last night after a killer day at work, I headed back to the pub and caught up with some friends, and listened to KiDook play.  They played covers and a very special original of Abby’s – Ginger pubes are amazing.  But they also had a good go at me – Mustang Nic anyone?  Highlight of the night was the final song when a white as English guy sang Shaggy like he was the man himself. 

This morning I spoke to my nephew – who proudly told me that his favourite All Blacks were Sonny Bill Williams, Dan Carter, Corey Jane and Jerome Kaino.  I asked him about Israel Dagg – who scored two tries in the game.  He was ambivalent about him, telling me that Sonny Bill was where it’s at.  Could not agree more.

From what I hear RWC fever has struck NZ big time and we are all behind that All Blacks – wearing black, painting everything in sight black – black envelopes, black tins of reduced cream, black packs of crisps, you get the gist if we can turn it black we have.  We are doing a fabulous job on the world stage.  It makes me proud to be Kiwi and an All Blacks supporter.  I will cheer for England – but only when they are not playing us, as they are my adopted homeland, I cheered a little for Argentina – for our families exchange student Marcella and will cheer a bit for the USA for my surrogate families there, but my heart is currently with NZ.

GO THE MIGHTY ALL BLACKS – DO US PROUD!

No comments: