Thursday 1 September 2011

Love is...

An almond croissant apparently.  Bear with me this may take a bit of explaining.  Love to me has never been flowers or grand gestures – yes I am the very first to admit that I am a hopeless romantic and that there are a place for these things, and I would never refuse or turn them down.  However, surely lasting love is about the small things, the cups of tea, the hand holding, the time spent together.  The knowing how someone likes their vodka, that they are allergic to certain things, that they will not speak during Home and Away and love to stay up late having a good old chat.

Today is my parents 33rd wedding anniversary.  They are still very much in love and whilst this is vomit inducing, it is also very sweet and heartening to see.  On their recent trip to the UK my friends commented that they were so cute the way that they held hands and had their hands on each others knees.  I often talk about how sweet they are and the respect and love they have for each other.  In a world where people are divorcing at the first sign of trouble I am well aware that what they have is special.

So here comes the almond croissant.  When they were here we visited the Harrods food court.  At the Paul Hollywood concession my Mum wanted an almond croissant.  I have a bit of a love/hate feeling towards Paul Hollywood and advised her to wait till we got to Paris as they would probably be a lot nicer there.  And wouldn’t you know it, when we got to Paris there was not a flaming almond croissant to be found.  Anywhere.  But you see my Dad, he was determined.  He searched high and low, he went to every boulangerie that we walked past – despite the fact that most were closed as we were there on Bastille weekend, he kept looking.  The last afternoon we were in Paris, we were foot weary, and had been walking all day.  I had just thrown a teeny tanty in Galleries Lafayette as it was crowded and a bit much.  We walked past a bakery that was on the verge of closing, Mum and I both were over it and Dad went in.  And there it was, an almond croissant.  He had searched high and low for it.  I had not heard the end of what a witch I was for not allowing it in Harrods and he had finally found it.  He was so proud of himself with his hunter gatherer outcome.  She was so pleased that she got the almond croissant.  I sat at a different counter and can’t remember what I had, but I do remember them.  Having a very sweet moment in a cute bakery in Paris.

So there you have it after 33 years of marriage they are still doing sweet things for each other.  And that is the dream. 

So what is your love story? Has anyone done something so simple that has meant the world to you?  Are you a big gesture or an everyday gesture person?  Or like me are you a bit of both?

No comments: