Saturday 23 July 2011

How to eat a Giant Jaffa


There are a few ways to eat a Giant Jaffa, but after years of experience here is the best way.  You suck it until it goes a bit soft.  When the coating is soft enough, gently crack it with your teeth and eat off the coating.  Then bite/suck the chocolate until its all gone.

The reason that I am thinking about this now, is that in the aftermath of my parents visit, I am catching up on Home and Away, baking and munching on giant jaffa’s in order to get over it.  It was reconfirmed for me at the airport today that I am pretty much rubbish at goodbyes.  Unless someone is arriving, and even then, that’s not a given, I will tear up upon entering the airport.
 
In the last two weeks I have said goodbye to my very good friends Tammy and Callum – after a great night out and Callum trying to make me look like a shark and my parents after a lovely visit.  As we said goodbye my Dad told me that it was nice to have been able to see where I live and to meet my friends.  That meant a huge amount to me as well.  Just writing this is making me cry.  I will miss them immensely, they were only here for a short while but they imposed themselves on my life pretty thoroughly.  One of the issues with this transient lifestyle is that you are constantly saying goodbye, to people that you hope will be friends for life.  It’s a bit like you have survived London together and you have a shared experience of the hardships and the good times to live by.  There is nothing quite like singing ‘You better be home soon’ with a bunch of expats who understand the pull to home and the pull to stay put.

And it raises that old chestnut – when will I be moving home?  A friend mentioned to my parents last night – when we were drinking, acting the fool, surmising what the Bishop might have said and dancing to our good friend playing – that they should now realise that the only reason we all love staying here is to avoid growing up and that we can act like students.  I have discussed this before and to be honest its very true.  I love that I don’t really have a career here, that I can do what I like without many consequences and that in London I can live very anonymously.  There will come a time very very soon when this will have to end.  I will have to start to take my career seriously and start to think about my future.

But at this moment in time – I am baking up a storm for what I like to call ‘The Festival of Biscuits’ or Homelanz, in real life, am content living my Peter Pan life, and am looking forward to series three of Go Girls.  And that is enough for now.

No comments: