Saturday 25 June 2011

Spoiler Alert - Last Night

Please stop reading this if you are interested in seeing the movie Last Night with Sam Worthington, Kiera Knightly and Eva Mendes.  I will ruin it for you.  But I need to get this off my chest.

Right if you are still with me, here we go.

The movie is about a husband and wife and about how men and woman cheat.  Having been cheated upon and also ashamedly cheated, neither situation I ever want to be in again - but hey we all have misspent youth - I found this movie deeply intriguing and infuriating at the same time.

The movie starts with wife Kiera and husband Sam going to a work party where Kiera picks up on the fact that Sam’s co-worker Eva is interested in him.  They have a massive fight that night, manage to make up just in time for Sam to head off on an important work trip with Eva and one other.  Kiera puts a note in the suit jacket that Sam is taking away that says that she is sorry that she over reacted and that she trusts him completely….

Cue the next day when Kiera is at home happily working on her novel, and needs a coffee, so heads down to the local coffee shop.  There she is met by a man from her past, one that during a brief break Kiera and Sam had before they got married, that she had been sleeping with.  Sam has no idea that this man exists.  He is in town for one night only and wants to take her out for dinner.  He is well aware of her marital status.

Meanwhile, Sam is fending off Eva quite gallantly.  Until they go for a swim in the hotel pool and Eva confides about the time her dead partner cheated on her and how it would not matter to her if she was married she would still pursue Sam.  Ok, now here is where the problems begin for me.  Firstly, how little respect does this chick have for his marriage?  She might have had an open relationship but he doesn’t.  She shamelessly pursues him and flaunts her body for him to see.  He holds out well until they go to her hotel room for one last drink and then it’s all on.  He shags her senseless.  I was very disappointed at the point.  He was doing so well and clearly loves his wife.  And how cliché.  The next morning Sam finds the note and feels bad.  He skips the rest of the business trip to head home to Kiera.  Eva is upset and feels dirty.  But what did she really expect him to do?

Back to Kiera.  She is fending of her amore quite well.  They discuss how it was over between them very quickly due to circumstance and she laments that she never got a chance to get tired of him, but that the relationship probably would have petered out eventually.  She gets locked out of her apartment and it’s too late at night to buzz the neighbours.  So she goes back to his hotel room.  He starts to make the moves and they kiss.  But she stops it and says that she can go no further and look her husband in the eye.

Kiera is at home and crying when Sam walks in.  He asks what she has been up to and she says a quiet night at home.  But he sees the high heels that she has been wearing…

So what is worse in your opinion?  Kiera is in love with both her husband and her ex-boyfriend.  She is emotionally attached.  Sam was not emotionally attached and it was purely physical.  Kiera did say that when she can’t sleep that she thinks of the ex-boyfriend.  Sam resisted for a long time.  Kiera gave in pretty much straight away.  To me this movie, whilst being realistic, was very cliché.  And it has sparked a few long conversations with my friend M who I saw it with.  She feels that at least a shag is over and done with but that the feelings of love that Kiera has will continue.  That being in love and cheating is worse.  M heard me sigh when Sam and Eva got it on.  I was disappointed.  Maybe just for once I wanted the man to stay strong and to love his wife that little bit more.
 
I had read an interview with Eva before I saw the movie and she said that she would not recommend seeing the movie if you were in a couple.  And I would agree.  The movie was uncomfortably real.  But brilliantly acted and I guess that if it’s got me debating it and blogging about it then it’s worth it.  So give me your thoughts…

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved the movie as well, it gave me a lot to think about, like even though you are married nothing can assure your partner will be loyal and faithful to you for the rest of your life. It's just so sad, one moment you are happier than ever and then the next one..... :(

Unknown said...

I loved the movie as well, it gave me a lot to think about, like even though you are married nothing can assure your partner will be loyal and faithful to you for the rest of your life. It's just so sad, one moment you are happier than ever and then the next one..... :(