Monday 14 October 2013

Its Friday, Bitches

For a long time, every Friday, my friend Sarah would write this in the tab book at the pub. I would always giggle and love that she did that. She would often walk into the room and ask 'What up Bitches?' When Sarah left and the staff were boys, they couldn't figure out who was adding Bitches after Friday in the book. When the did figure it out, they didn't get it. You see very slowly women are reclaiming the word bitch. Its a term of endearment, hardly ever an insult these days. Or maybe that is just me. I have found much worse/unusual words to insult people with these days. Bitch seems old hand and more embraced these days.

Recently I ventured to Greece, with the bitches. I will have to write a whole blog about how amazing Greece is. The day that we were flying out and meeting our friend Tahnee, in Athens, she messaged, saying that she would be waiting for us at the airport with a sign that said 'Hey Bitches'. And that is how the girls trip continued. My birthday postcard was signed The Bitches, from Caz, Alex and Tahnee. That night we danced to Will I Am's, Scream and Shout and took great pleasure in singing along to the part where you are rocking with Britney Bitch. We farewelled each other at the airport with see you later bitches.

My bitches have left me now, although I am sure I will find some more, but they might not appreciate being called bitches. I am not sure that everyone woman I know has embraced this word as readily as I and a select group of my friends have. In fact I know that they haven't. If I spoke that way to some of my friends back home they would be surprised, and horrified.

This is what makes language funny and interesting – what offends one person, rolls of another's back. To me, language is evolving at an alarming rate. Text speak is coming into play a lot more. I am routinely told off by Caroline for my abbreviations, both when I speak and when I text her. Words such as Totes Amaze (Totally Amazing) or even worse Amazeballs. Or my new fav (favourite) Speny – when something is expensive. I can understand her point of view, I really can, but I don't speak as fast as she does, so I have to abbreviate to keep up! With the event of more communication in print rather than voice, there is so much room for interpretation. Emails and texts can be misconstrued. 1001 meanings can be read into a sentence, that can be a throw away to the person who wrote it. Or the lack of an email or text can be read into as well. We can spend hours analysing what someone meant by that text or lack of text. (I will often dash off a text on the bus, and not have a chance to read or reply to the reply for a couple of hours, when I will pick up the conversation again. I am getting very rubbish at emailing and texting, life is getting really rather busy at the moment. Or having time to write this blog really!) It was a simpler time when you just picked up the phone and heard the persons voice and the intonations in it. For example – Bitch said with venom is a clear insult. Where as, bitch said in a lighthearted, breezy way, is not offensive at all.

There is still an obvious pleasure when someone takes the time to send you a written letter or a postcard or just a long email. They have taken time to write to you, not just a few lines dashed off when they have a spare 5 minutes. I love sending postcards when I am traveling. I think of my not so wee nephew receiving them, getting excited about the mail, reading it, and maybe some day wanting to travel to the far off places that I have been. In the same way that I send them to my friends kids, in the hopes that when I return home that they will have some idea as to who I am and where I have been in the world. I still laugh at one postcard from Turkey arriving six months after I sent it. I like to think that it was delivered by a man in a fez, who had been going to extreme lengths to get it to them. I see him rowing, biking, flying, running to get it in their letter box. I am sure that there is a much more boring explanation then that, but mine is more fun.

Its clear that I enjoy language, I like writing, playing with words, and making them sound poetic and flowy, or juxtaposed and interesting. I guess that having a librarian for a mother, I appreciated reading and writing at an early age. I am taken with the classics, Shakespeare and I are old friends, I love the way his sonnets read and the way that he uses language. I love poetry and used to write a lot of awful, maudlin poems when I was growing up. When the mood takes me I will still write, but they tend to be more personal than my other writing. They are where I play with the way words sound, match and really say what I am feeling. I would be mortified if anyone else read them. I love a good novel or my absolute favourite is listening to song lyrics, which I can pick up very quickly. I love hearing the way they can express so much emotion in such an accessible way. I am a sucker for a good singer/songwriter, one person and a guitar and I am hooked. It is a source of amusement to a number of my friends, that I can recite songs back to them after hearing them a few times. I used to have great fun at our jam sessions, in the pub, my job was to remember the words and direct the people who had actual talent in singing or playing an instrument.

So there you go, that was a rather rambly blog. It has been a great distraction from what I am supposed to be doing – studying for my Life in the UK test, I have already done two hours today so I am ok.

Later's Bitches, this bitch needs to get her some sleep.

xx

No comments: