Sunday 1 July 2012

Life is a Highway


Life is a highway, I wanna ride it all night long…  I rode a highway for most of yesterday and it was pretty good.  In my last post I said that life was a rollercoaster, I guess that right now life feels a bit like a metaphor for me.  Either a highway, which I am currently cruising alone, or a rollercoaster where I feel like it’s all a bit much.  Anyhoo, here is what has been happening in the last three weeks:

Bath – I ventured there for a Hens weekend.  The 7 of us had a fabulous apartment, right in the City Centre and spent an afternoon in the spa.  The weekend was so much fun, incredibly exhausting and very therapeutic.  We laughed a lot and had a ball.  We laughed a lot at The Cinderella Story with Hilary Duff - would not recommend this movie unless there is really nothing else to watch.  We had a fabulous time and I made couple of new friends.  Roll on the wedding.

Brighton – I helped to move my very good friend move to Brighton yesterday.  It was a great day but very exhausting.  I drove a van for about 12 hours.  It’s been a long time since I have had to concentrate for that long consistently.  The weather fined up for us, when I was walking to the van it was pouring and I was thinking that it was going to be a miserable day in the rain.  The traffic was a nightmare, but she is there now and settling in.  I also found the fabled shop with the relatively cheap Banksy Prints.  They are now hung up in my home and I am in love with them.

Rock of Ages – I loved this movie.  It was funny, feelgood and the music was fabulous.  It was so strange to see Tom Cruise dressed up like a cross between Axl Rose and Brett Michaels.  What was more disturbing is that I kinda fancied him like that.  Maybe my dream man wears heavier eye liner than me and is an 80’s glam rocker?!?  See this movie if you get a chance.

Pub Life – the pub has been saved and I am settling back into it.  A few weeks ago, I was lucky enough to venture out to Homelanz with these guys.  It was great to eat delicious, honest, Kiwi food and to hear Kora play.  They were a hilarious mix of cringeworthy jokes and good beats.   Even more exciting has been that my good friends parents have been visiting, they already feel like family to me even though I have never met them.  It’s nice to meet someone who says – I have heard so much about you. 
 
Flatmate hunting – this is about to begin.  I hate flatmate hunting – so much depends on a 20 minute interview.  You could end up with a psycho.  My Mum told me a story about a man who unknowingly let a released mental patient move in, and during the day two weeks into him living there, he stabbed him to death.  Horror stories aside, everyone can appear normal for a short amount of time.

Offspring – I am an addict.  I so want Nina and Patrick to be together, he is just so lovely, and has an amazing tattoo, but all of that aside, I have to believe that things will go right for Nina.  I know that all woman see themselves in people like Nina or Bridget Jones, but I really see my life in these people.  (I have been called on a number of occasions, by different people, the kiwi Bridget)  A series of events, that are fun, and a group of friends who are as crazy as they are wonderful, but a nearly happy ending.  I have to believe for my own sake that there will be a happy ending. 
 
Lazy Sundays – it’s been a while since I have had a truly lazy Sunday and I am wallowing in this one.  I have caught up on tele, hung a few pictures and am now contemplating a movie on my own, unless the friend fairy conjures up something more exciting to drag me out of this malaise.  I have the feeling that something exciting is just around the corner, I just wish it would hurry the frick up. 

So these are the things that have occupied me over the last few weeks – throw in a mix of gyming, a few drinks, a lot of missing my friends and family, a smattering of useless worrying and a fair chunk of frustration at my job, and you have my life.

No comments: