Wednesday 9 November 2011

I'm so tired I could eat a Lion

If you were a kiwi kid then you would recognise the Animal bar ad there.  I am so very tired over the last two weeks.  I even missed out going to the pub last Friday, choosing instead to stay in and order pizza.  Not my finest hour.  This week the tiredness has continued as I strive to make it to the gym or at least walk some of the way to and from work, as well as keep up with a very mentally draining job.

My job is, well it is, right now.  Days spent staring at spreadsheets is not really what I was cut out for.  My talents lie in event planning and writing.  Numbers are really not my forte.  I am doing ok at this, but feel as though I could be doing a lot better.  I just don’t know how.

In the face of all of this, I am really enjoying exercise right now.  My brain gets to switch off and my body gets a great workout.  Almost on auto pilot as I am soooo tired.  You get the picture.  I have been in hibernation for a few weeks now.  I have hardly been out – great for my bank balance, but not great for the friends that I am neglecting.  I miss them.  I know that this exile is self imposed, but my tired mind starts to play tricks on me, telling me that they don’t care.  When I get really tired like this I get emotional and precious.  Even I am annoyed at me.

But the upside is silly humour.  Everything is funny when you are tired.  One episode that stands out the most took place on an average Sunday in a lingerie store where I work part time.  I had just finished serving a customer at the counter when another lady pushing a pram walked in.  My customer looked in the pram and smiled, and I thought how lovely a grandmother with her grandchild.  I then began to serve the grandmother.  She was a little odd, and kept mentioning that her daughter was joining her soon.  I thought it was nice of the lady to take the baby and help her daughter have some down time.  Another pair of ladies came up and looked in the pram and laughed.  My customer seemed miffed and asked why they were laughing, then brushed it off and said something to the effect of, its hard not to look at them and smile.  She then left the counter and began pushing the pram around the store.  At one point she leaned into the pram and was cooing at the baby. 

Then the baby barked.

Umm WHAT?  The lady then proceeded to pick up a fluffy white dog that was dressed in a red and white stripped jumper.  I nearly had kittens I was trying so hard not the laugh.  But it certainly cheered me up.
So this week has been work, exercise, cook dinner and sleep, then repeat.  But I have discovered a great tele programme called Raising Hope, its making me laugh and keeping me sane right now.  I am really looking forward to getting on a plane and seeing my family and friends in NZ again.  I will be sleeping on that plane before the damn thing takes off at this rate.  I once slept through a flight from Canada to the States, I don’t remember take off or landing, I was so out to it.

So how are you?  Tired, perky, excited or just normal.  What do you find funny when you are tired?

No comments: